James,

Dario, I apologize for being slightly off-topic, but your original
request stated you wanted to migrate from mysql to postgres to better
utilize full text search.  I'm sure this has been discussed in other
threads, but is their an inherent limitation in mysql that prevents this
(ie, you need a lot more memory, faster disk access, etc, using mysql
vs. postgres) function from working efficiently (or at all)?

No apologies necessary.

I made this decision based on Best Practical's assertions in full_text_indexing.pod (in the install tarball) that full text indexing is not supported natively in MySQL, that I'd have to install an external package to get it, and that I'd likely have to recompile MySQL from source to properly integrate MySQL with the external indexing engine.

Whereas PostgreSQL supports full text indexing natively, and I can get (maintained) packages for it straight from postgres.org.

(Side note: I've changed from digest subscription to full for the time being - no need to cc me on messages anymore)

Cheers,
Dario

Dario Landazuri                    da...@astro.as.utexas.edu
Systems Analyst                               (512) 471-3334
McDonald Observatory

--------
2011 Training: http://bestpractical.com/services/training.html