Thanks Kevin, this may do the trick.  Still being new to RT, I missed this.

On 6/5/2014 11:27 AM, Kevin Falcone wrote:
I'm interested to hear from everyone too, as one of these days I hope to drop
out some unnecessary attachments from the database.
One thing that I found in our environment is that the sessions table was
absolutely huge and accounted for more than 80% of our database size.
Standard response:
http://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/latest/rt-shredder.html

You can use the sbin/rt-clean-sessions script to help prune that if you find
that your sessions table is also very large.
This should be a daily cron job on every production RT server,
otherwise your session table just grows without bounds.

Our current RT3 database is over 18 gigs and I was told that our
admins have never pruned or purged any of the old data. Are there
any utilities or scripts in RT that I can use to purge old data
cleanly or is all of that done directly through the database, ie
mysql in my case?
Look at the shredder docs above.

Make sure you apply the documented indexes.  You may find that
shredder performs better on 4.2 than on 3.8, test.

-kevin

--
RT Training - Boston, September 9-10
http://bestpractical.com/training