Hey guys and gals, been a long time.

I’m doing an upgrade from 3.8.5 to 4.2. It seems to be going well. I’m liking
the changes. Glad to see RTFM integrated. My one big question here that I think
the documentation could definitely improve upon, is what order to do the
changes in?  There are changes in every one of these pages and there’s no clear
outline for which ones go first.

https://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/README.html
https://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/UPGRADING-3.8.html
https://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/UPGRADING-4.0.html
https://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/UPGRADING-4.2.html
https://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/UPGRADING.mysql.html

I build the new installation on a new system so I’ve done a test upgrade the
following way — totally just guessing which things to do in which order. Can
someone take a moment to validate if I did it right?

1. Loaded a backup of the running system's database, renamed to rt4
2. Installed apache2 and mod_perl2, set up vhost according to
https://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/web_deployment.html
3. Download 4.2.9, extract, ./configure --with-web-handler=modperl2
--with-web-user=apache --with-web-group=apache
4. sudo make fixdeps
5. make install
6. perl etc/upgrade/upgrade-mysql-schema.pl rt4 rt_user password > ~/update.sql
   (read and saw only changes to utf8)
7. mysql -u rt-user -p rt4 < ~/update.sql

8. Cleanup from UPGRADING-3.8
$ cd /opt/rt4
$ perl -I /opt/rt4/local/lib -I /opt/rt4/lib
etc/upgrade/shrink_transactions_table.pl
$ perl -I /opt/rt4/local/lib -I /opt/rt4/lib etc/upgrade/vulnerable-passwords
$ perl -I /opt/rt4/local/lib -I /opt/rt4/lib etc/upgrade/vulnerable-passwords
--fix
$ perl -I /opt/rt4/local/lib -I /opt/rt4/lib etc/upgrade/split-out-cf-categories

9. Database upgrade
$ perl -I/opt/rt4/local/lib -I/opt/rt4/lib sbin/rt-setup-database --action
upgrade --prompt-for-dba-password
$ perl -I /opt/rt4/local/lib -I /opt/rt4/lib etc/upgrade/upgrade-articles
$ sbin/rt-validator --check
$ sbin/rt-validator --check --resolve

I’m thinking that perhaps step 8 should have been done before 6 and 7, but it
seems to have worked and it displays the tickets and seems to operate properly.

--
Jo Rhett
+1 (415) 999-1798