Microsoft has a very bad habit of not only leaving gaping security holes
in their software but they also secretly sneak in code to send directory
listings of the contents of your HD (and other things) back to Microsoft
HQ in Redmond, Washington.

Every time they have been exposed for these privacy breaches they say
"Oh, we are sorry, we didn't mean to do that.  That was only supposed to
be in the Beta test." and they have a patch the next day that stops
sending back info about your 'puter to Micro$oft.  It always kills me how
'quickly' they can 'fix' these problems.

It would be a good idea for everyone to visit:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

and click on 'Product Update' and let it install any 'critical' or
'security' update that you see listed.  I just checked for my machine and
there was a security update (dated 10/10/01) for IE 5.5 SP 2 that I
needed to install.

Hugh - you are a brave man to be running Win XP before it has been
thoroughly investigated by the tech community.  Back up your data.

bill evans
Hartselle, AL
[EMAIL PROTECTED]