Mike Laborde wrote:
> Well, guess what. I just found out that there is a Corky's
> that just opened here in Jacksonville. Morgan, have you been
> there yet? has anyone on the list eaten at Corky's?

Corky's is a chain out of Memphis.  They are usually ranked as
one of the top two barbeque restaurants in Memphis.  As with
any franchise chain, the quality depends on the dedication of
the local management.  I've been impressed with the Corky's
in Atlanta, but I've heard that some of their locations do not
measure up to Memphis standards.

> Can anyone tell me what to order when I go there for lunch
> on Monday!

The pulled pork, beef brisket, and ribs are all good.  Corky's
is one of the few places in Atlanta where you can get dry ribs
(Memphis style) and decent beef brisket.  The pork is very lean
and smokey.  I like to go there when I'm doing the low-carb diet
because they will let me order a pound of meat off the takeout
menu.  Side items?  We don't need no steenking side items!  But
if you do like side items, their baked beans and fries are good.
I wish they would serve hush puppies instead of rolls.  They
only play blues music (thank gawd there is a refuge from the
assault of rap and britney).  Oh, I almost forgot their sauce.
It is quite tasty and spicy.  BTW, their ribs are barbequed in
a smoker (not open pit like Dreamland) so they are very tender.
The smoke ring goes almost all the way through.

Corky's is probably the best barbeque in Atlanta.  It is sad
when your best barbeque is serve by a chain restaurant.  This
is yet another example of the "yankeefication" of Atlanta.  We
even have one BBQ joint that cooks with charcoal. :-(

BTW, did anyone who went to the allbarn game try the barbeque
sandwiches being sold in the concourse near section 39?  The
sign said "Real Carolina Barbeque".  Bullsh!t.  I started to
get one for the outrageous price of $4.50 when I noticed this
"barbeque" was little more than sliced roasted pork swimming
in a vat of hot water.  I said no thanks to that.  At least
the barbeque sandwiches served at Bryant-Denny are REAL BBQ
(and not too bad at that).  The aubie vendors probably think
the Arbyque sandwich is real barbeque.

So to recap today's lesson:
1. Corky's - good pork, beef, ribs, and sauce
2. Atlanta - suffering from yankeefication
3. Aubies  - don't know sh!t about barbeque
4. Javvy   - soon to be enjoying good barbeque
5. Slef    - still living on Sand Mountain (excellent)
6. HuGe    - still contradicting himself
7. Allbarn - still sucks

HTH. HAND.

--
Phil Harbison