$1 to The Anniston Star, and Joe Medley for this
article....Jamie

Joe Medley: Wishing more flights for ‘Spirit’

06-20-2003

OK, I admit it.

For a minute or two before every Auburn home football
game, this beat writer vacates objectivity row. I go
down to the camera deck and await one of college
football’s most fantastic pregame spectacles.

I look around Jordan-Hare Stadium’s upper decks and
find the raptor cage. A handler opens the door, and
out flies one of nature’s truly awesome creatures.

An eagle launches into her seemingly whimsical glide,
scanning the stadium with her gifted glare.

As Auburn fans hold the first word of their school’s
familiar “War Eagle!” battle cry, the king of birds
decides which lucky sections get this week’s
close-ups.

Then, she pinpoints her designated landing pad on the
field and calls it a performance.

No favorite team required. Anyone can enjoy eagle
flights. Speaking from a Kentucky-raised tree hugger’s
perspective, it’s about the bird, and nothing but the
bird.

Now, we hear that “Spirit,” the bald eagle that took
over for aging golden eagle “Tiger” last season, could
be ill and unable to perform this fall.

“Spirit” tested positive for a respiratory infection
that killed 11 birds in Auburn’s care. Her handlers
want to assess her condition before deciding on her
training.

On the up side, a positive test does not guarantee
that “Spirit” will die or even get sick. Still, folks
at Auburn’s home games this fall might go without
eagle flights.

Here’s to healthy lungs, so that “Spirit” can keep
inspiring hearts and minds.

* * *

=====
BRYANT And SHULA