WARNING.. Scarbinsky alert!

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/kscarbinsky.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/sports/1056705426322030.xml

The Price story far from over for Alabama

06/27/03

Mike Price has a game plan for the rest of his life. He wants to get back his
reputation so he can get back on the sideline.

Part I of his plan was the $20 million lawsuit filed last week against Sports
Illustrated for libel and slander. He has a better chance to win that one than he
would've the Oklahoma game. Expect a settlement that compensates and vindicates him to
some degree.

Will Alabama be next on his list?

Will the short-time Alabama football coach drag the university into a drawn-out court
battle that lasts longer than his tenure in Tuscaloosa?

Will Price fire back at Alabama in a legal way because the school fired him without
any kind of financial settlement?

Definitely. Says who? Says Price's attorney, Stephen Heninger.

"So there's no misunderstanding," Heninger said in a Thursday phone conversation, "we
will definitely file suit against the university."

Just what the university's lawyers need, especially after their losing streak against
the NCAA.

There's one more step that has to take place before Heninger files suit against
Alabama on Price's behalf. The school's putting together a mediation committee to hear
Price's appeal of his dismissal.

The school just submitted to Price and his attorney a list of faculty members who
could serve on the three-person committee. Price gets to pick one faculty member. So
does the university. Those two faculty members then pick the third member of the
mediation committee.

Heninger said he hopes that committee will hold a hearing on Price's dismissal by
mid-July, but added that "we're not optimistic about the appeal."

At issue is the way Alabama handled Price's firing. Heninger said the university
didn't follow its own "progressive discipline policies" in dealing with Price's
behavior during that now-infamous trip to Pensacola for a golf pro-am.

"Why wasn't progressive discipline used?" Heninger asked. "Termination wasn't the
appropriate route."

Price and his lawyer know the coach is not going to get his job back, not since Mike
Shula's already on the job. What they want is for Alabama to continue its
long-standing practice of paying a settlement to a coach it cut loose under the terms
of his contract.

Alabama's only comment on the issue has come from president Robert Witt. After he
fired Price, Witt said the coach was not entitled to any settlement. Alabama has stood
by that opinion in several letters to Price's lawyer.

Does Price want to coach again? "He sure does," Heninger said, but there are "no bites
right now."

Aren't the coach and his lawyer concerned that filing suit against Alabama may scare
off other schools that otherwise might be willing to hire Price?

"It's a natural fear," Heninger said, "but we have an obligation under the law to try
to mitigate damages."

Does Alabama understand that the Mike Price story is not over, that he's not going
away until he gets his pay or his day in court?

"They understand," Heninger said. "I've rattled that saber in several letters. We're
not bluffing." Kevin Scarbinsky's column appears Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.