Players take a break from workouts

By Tim Gayle
Montgomery Advertiser

There's still 24 days remaining before the start of preseason football practice, but you'd never know it at Auburn or Alabama.

The two schools have always taken their football seriously, but this year the stakes are even higher. For the two dozen or so Tide and Tiger players attending the second annual Montgomery YMCA Auburn and Alabama Football Give Back Clinic at the YMCA youth soccer fields, Friday's session with 250 or so young football fans was a break from the grueling off-season workouts.

"It's not really a break," countered Prattville's Roman Harper, an Alabama defensive back who continued signing autographs as he talked. "You're up here working with the kids and signing autographs. Man, they're working you. But you used to be one of these kids, running around, asking for autographs. It feels good to know people want something from you."

The players spent two hours in the Capital City on Friday evening, offering tips to boys and girls at the free clinic sponsored by the Southeast YMCA. It's a welcome break from a fall ritual that has become a year-round requirement.

At Auburn, preseason magazines picking the Tigers as contenders for the national championship raised the stakes. Higher expectations fueled the intensity of Auburn players who sense this year's team can be a very special one after finishing in a three-way tie atop the West Division standings last fall.

"Because the expectations are high, our summer has been a little more intense than what it usually is," said Auburn lineman Monreko Crittenden, a former St. Jude standout. "I mean, it's always intense but we as a team have picked it up because of our rankings and what everybody is saying about us."

At Alabama, the firing of former coach Mike Price in early May created a unique situation in Tuscaloosa where the players are forced to learn new coach Mike Shula's offensive and defensive schemes during the summer. At a time when many players would take a few days off to rest and relax, Crimson Tide players have remained on campus throughout the summer.

"It's run through my mind a few times. I could be fishing right now," said Alabama quarterback Brodie Croyle, an avid outdoorsman. "When you sign to play Division I-A football, there's sacrifices you have to make and this is one of them. At the same time, it has been a packed summer, non-stop every day."

It's not unusual to see players at major college programs spending their summers on campus. It is unusual to see them spend the amount of time Alabama's players have spent in the football complex with no summer break.

"In high school, you were up there a couple of hours each day and you thought it was bad on you then," Harper said.

"My average day is probably seven or eight hours up there at that (football) complex, at least two or three hours' worth of film," Croyle said. "But I haven't heard one complaint from anybody. Everybody wants to prove something, including coach Shula. When you have something to prove, it's easier to work that much harder. It's going to make for a fun season with everybody doubting us."

While most players spend the second term of summer school on campus, Alabama players also spent the first term and the interim session between the two summer terms in Tuscaloosa. That gave them three opportunities to take classes for those who wanted to get a jump on the fall semester.

"The workouts have been more intense," Alabama cornerback Charlie Peprah said. "Last year, it was twice a week; now, it's at least three, four times a week. As for me, it's hectic with my schoolwork because after this summer I'll have 37 more hours before I graduate (in marketing), so it's kind of tough with upper-level classes.

"But we still have our fun. We get the weekends off. I usually don't go home. I just go home with some of these guys. I go home to Prattville (with Harper) or go to Thomasville with Anthony (Madison)."

Peprah made the nine-hour drive to his home in Plano, Texas, for the Fourth of July, but won't get another opportunity this summer. He's not alone.

"I live so far away, I still wouldn't be able to go home," said Alabama tailback Shaud Williams, a senior who drives 15 hours -- the first nine with Peprah -- to reach his home in the west Texas town of Andrews.

"I think the thing that keeps us sane is we all get along and enjoy being around each other. I spend about six hours each day dealing with football. It's a little bit more than it was last year but we've got a little bit more that we have to do this time."

For the younger participants, Friday's clinic was an opportunity to get their pictures taken with players they watch on television, get a few autographs and pick up a few pointers.

Jarvis Ware, 14, said he didn't come out to see anyone in particular, just to meet as many of the college players as he could.

"I'm interested in all of them," Ware said. "I met most of them in the (YMCA indoor practice) facility." Ware added the clinic "helps me get a little bit better at what I'm doing for the upcoming football season."

Jeremy Law, 14, agreed. The Millbrook resident said his reason for attending was "better performances at quarterback." The quarterback at Millbrook Junior High said he attended the clinic in 2002 in its inaugural year and "it helped me a lot."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWS/StorySportsGIVEBACKCLINIC.htm

Rick
--
Yea, Alabama! Drown'em Tide!