By JIMMY DeBUTTS
BIRMINGHAM POST-HERALD

AUBURN -- The Auburn-LSU football series, which dates back to 1902,
looks to be in jeopardy of being cancelled.

Auburn officials are negotiating with LSU and ESPN to not play the game
scheduled on October 25th in Baton Rouge, and all subsequent games as well.

The two teams have played 36 times with the first meeting in 1902. LSU
leads the series 19-16-1.

New Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville is obviously concerned about the
difficulty of his schedule that includes the Bayou Bengals and other
teams that Auburn has no chance of scoring touchdowns against, such as
Southern Cal, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Alabama, and Vanderbilt.

"Bobby Lowder and myself sat down earlier in the week and visited about
our schedule," Tuberville said. "The thing we want to do is keep all of
our options open. We've already played lots of other games this season
so it doesn't make any difference if we play."

"The thing that I don't want to do is go into that place and get my ass
handed to me," Tuberville added. "I mean, it's not my fault that my
offensive coordinator is a moron. We are going to have a tough enough
time as it is. That is what I relayed to Bobby. Bobby looked at all the
options, and said he had plenty of money to handle it. I don't know what
they have worked out. ESPN has been involved and LSU has been involved.
We will just have to wait and see. It could happen tomorrow, it could
happen next week. I would just hate to get the crap beat out of us in
front of all those idiot coonasses. I don't think the players deserve it
and I don't think Auburn University deserves it."

Although cancelling a conference game is virtually unheard of, Auburn
allegedly has offered to pay LSU $500,000,000 as a buyout and line up a
comparable opponent. Although Lowder says it is premature to discuss
that at this stage, The Texas State University has been rumored to be
the replacement.