From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 9:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [RollTideFan] After Britt injury, Smiley eyes NFL

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/106
7453267206141.xml

Alabama notebook

10/29/03

Huntsville Times

After Britt injury, Smiley eyes NFL

TUSCALOOSA - The prospect of heading to the NFL after this season is growing
stronger to junior guard Justin Smiley.

A preseason All-American who figures to have a future in the NFL, Smiley
said that the broken leg sustained last Saturday by close friend and fellow
NFL prospect Wesley Britt has affected Smiley's thinking about turning pro.

Smiley pointed to the fact that a serious injury such as Britt's could
jeopardize his chances in the NFL before he draws his first paycheck.

"I can't say that hasn't crossed my mind," Smiley said Tuesday. "That's
definitely been something to think about. This season hasn't gone the way I
would like it to go, team-wise. You don't want to leave on a note like that.
But when you see one of your friends get hurt, that could definitely hurt
your stock (in the NFL draft).

"It did cross my mind. Why don't I get paid and have a chance of making some
money and have this happen to me (rather) than to stay here and get hurt and
not make any? But that's one of the things we'll have to approach at the end
of the season."

The injury to Britt was particularly difficult for Smiley. The two have
lined up side-by-side on the offensive line since they were freshmen.

"For the next few snaps after Wes got hurt until something that took my
thought off that, you play not to get hurt," Smiley said. "You see something
like that and it's rough.

"He breaks both bones in his (lower) leg and the bone is almost sticking out
of the skin and you see your friend laying there . . . I'm only a foot away
from him. It could have been me."  [...]

kurt