The University of Alabama football team is coming off a much-needed open
week, but is having to learn a new set of moves.

Just call it the "Offensive Line Shuffle."

The Tide wasn't blessed with depth up front to begin with, but problems
really started to develop when All-SEC tackle Wesley Britt went down early
in the Tide's five-overtime loss to Tennessee. His broken leg pushed Atlas
Herrion, who had been playing at guard, back to the left tackle position.
Later, when guard Dennis Alexander twisted an ankle, Danny Martz was pressed
into action. With Matt Lomax already sharing time with J.B. Closner at
center, that essentially depleted the small pool of experienced depth that
Alabama had available.

"We're thin," Tide coach Mike Shula admitted at his Tuesday press
conference. "But with the guys we have, we can operate smoothly
offensively."

The biggest concern, of course, is for starting quarterback Brodie Croyle,
who has managed to last through the Tide's two most recent games despite his
suspect left shoulder. Britt has been one of the stalwarts in protecting
Croyle, although Herrion did play most of the Tennessee game with no
noticeable breakdown in protection.

"I don't think we'll have to change the offense," Croyle said after
Tuesday's practice. "Atlas did a fine job against Tennessee. I felt just as
good setting up and throwing behind him as I did with Wesley."

Alexander did not participate in the practice and was wearing an orthopedic
"boot" on his sprained left ankle, but said he felt good about his chances
of playing against Mississippi State.

"I'm just wearing the boot to take a little weight off the ankle," he said.
"I'm going to try to practice [today]."

If Alexander cannot play, the Tide's backups will be Von Ewing and Mark
Sanders, young players with virtually no game experience.

"We even had the guys that we are thinking of redshirting, guys who aren't
going to play, taking reps with the second team," Shula said. "That's good
for the future of our team."

That would be the long-term future that Shula means. In the immediate
future -- in other words, the next four games -- the Tide will simply have
to do the best with what he has. That includes working players like Herrion
and Lomax at multiple positions, and hoping.

"It's difficult, but we've got to close ranks and move on," said guard
Justin Smiley, who will have to take over Britt's leadership role. "I
believe in Atlas' abilities [at tackle]. You have to approach it like that.
If you worry about things too much and don't trust the guy next to you,
you're going to have some trouble.

"We're in a new season now, a four-game season. This game coming up is huge,
because we want to win the rest of our games. There is no way I want to have
a losing season."

Smiley says that if that means being more vocal, he'll do it.

"We've got to provide leadership for the young guys," Smiley said. "They are
good players. Danny Martz has played a little, maybe not as much as he
deserves. I've just got to reassure him, and the other guys, that they can
play and dominate at this level. They just have to step in there and do it."

One thing seems certain -- they will get their chance.