apparently not.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/jpruett.ssf?/base/sports/1068830204105090.xml

A couple of usually reliable chaps passed along an amusing tidbit earlier this week, claiming the Oklahoma band played "Yea, Alabama'' for Dennis Franchione's benefit during the Sooners' 77-0 rout of Texas A&M last Saturday.

We tacked a line to that effect on the end of a column about Jeremiah Castille's appearance Tuesday night at the Huntsville Quarterback Club. Turns out, it didn't happen that way.

Brian Britt, director of the "Pride of Oklahoma'' band, clarified the situation in an e-mail. "Though I received hundreds of calls and e-mails during the week leading up to our game with Texas A&M requesting that our band play 'Yea, Alabama,' we did not do so,'' Britt wrote.

Rather than condoning unsportsmanlike behavior, he said, the band refrained.

"While many fans would probably be glad if we had played it,'' Britt said, "I am sure that many others would be very disappointed in us for doing so. We feel that any sort of personal attack on a visiting player or coach is inappropriate at any athletic contest, and as such, we don't condone or permit such actions by members of our band individually or collectively.''

Britt said the Oklahoma band has the utmost respect for Alabama and its "Million Dollar Band,'' that Oklahomans enjoyed their visit to Alabama in early September, and that "the unfortunate manner in which Coach Franchione left the University of Alabama is not our business.''

He added: "We sincerely hope Alabama and its loyal fans will have many great football seasons in the future. Your football tradition is among the strongest in the country and you obviously have much to be proud of.

"I hope that sets the record straight and that everyone will understand our decision regarding this issue, even if they choose to disagree.'' [...]