Six former UA players will spend Christmas on the field

By Tommy Deas
Sports Writer
December 22, 2003

MONTGOMERY | Derrick Pope has been good this year, and he knows what he
wants to find in his stocking on Christmas Day.

"I don't even want a sack, just 10 tackles, maybe an interception and Most
Valuable Player," the former University of Alabama linebacker said.

Pope will spend his holiday on the football field along with five of his
former Crimson Tide teammates.

Wideouts Dre Fulgham and Zach Fletcher, offensive linemen Dennis Alexander
and Atlas Herrion and defensive end Nautyn McKay-Loescher will all play in
the Blue-Gray All-Star Classic on Christmas Day at Troy State University's
Movie Gallery Stadium.

Players reported on Friday for check-in and began practices Saturday in
Montgomery.

The Alabama contingent seems happy to spend the holiday season running,
blocking and tackling for the benefit of pro football scouts, who are
evaluating the 80 Blue-Gray players for their potential.

"It's got to feel good to wake up on Christmas morning and go out and play
football," Alexander said. "It's something you love to do.

"It means a lot. It's a chance to show my skills to the scouts and to the
world, that I belong here and inviting me was a good choice. I got a chance
to come out here and show my talent to everybody. I'm going to give it the
best I've got."

Herrion and Alexander were late invitees, getting the call Tuesday when
other players pulled out of the game.

"Any time you have a second chance to come out and show you're talents, you'
re blessed," Herrion said.

Herrion isn't sure where he fits in as a pro prospect. He played both guard
and both tackle positions in his two years at Alabama, and also spent some
time practicing as a defensive lineman. He is also willing to try something
knew if asked.

"I've never actually played center in a game," he said. "I practiced it
quite a bit.

"I've had a couple of guys mention to me I'd probably be a guard in the
league, but it doesn't matter to me. I'll play anywhere they want me."

Fletcher got the call from the Blue-Gray after his Alabama teammate,
receiver Triandos Luke, turned down the offer.

"I don't know what I have to prove," Fletcher said, "but I'm just thankful I
'm here. I don't know what they're looking for, but it will mean a lot for
me.

"This is going to be fun to me. It's an honor to be invited and play in
something like this."

Fulgham said the game is comparable to the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game
he played in out of high school, but with more at stake.

"Different players from different teams, but all the players are on another
level," he said. "Everything is stepped up a notch.

"You always want to win. You want to perform well and do your best, because
that will give your team the best chance to win."

The 2 p.m. game will be nationally televised on ESPN2.

"A lot of people will be sitting around the house on Christmas Day and
wanting to watch a football game or an athletic event," Fulgham said, "so I
want to give it all I've got to show the coaches and the fans what I can
do."

Pope measured in at 5-foot-11 and 223 pounds, short for a linebacker in the
pro ranks. He knows he needs a good showing at Blue-Gray workouts to prove
he can overcome his lack of stature.

"I'm real excited about this," he said. "Teams that don't get to go to a
bowl game, this is an extra game to show you can play.

"There's a lot of talent, a lot of good-looking players. I can't wait to get
on the field and compete with them."

Fulgham has already made plans to play in the Hula Bowl, and McKay-Loescher
expects to play in the East-West Shrine Classic. For the others, this is
likely the last chance to play wearing their Alabama helmets.

"We're going to have on different clothes, but it all starts with the
helmet," Fulgham said. "When you put that on, you're going to represent
Alabama to the best of your ability.

"A lot of guys wore that helmet for the last time in Hawaii [where Alabama
ended its season]. They'd like to trade places with me."

Holidays are a time for family, but Fletcher is used to sacrificing for
football.

"I missed a lot of holidays for football," he said. "It's something you've
got to do.

"It's nice to meet new people. All of us are football players. We've been
through the same things. We're all family."

Tommy Deas can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]