Does that mean we agree?

 -----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Thursday, April 08, 2004 9:03 AM
To:     RollTideFan-The University of Alabama Athletics Discussion List
Subject:        Re: RE: [RollTideFan] Hey...Jobu  602 huh? (Now 614)

I've stayed out of this as long as I can.

I received NO student loans, grants, etc. to attend college; my parents
earned too much money.(yeah, right)  But Dub and Earl could have gone to
school for free since they lived in poverty.  Instead, they decided to
retread tires for a living @ 5.00/hr.  Now I am supposed to feel sorry for
them?  If you are poor and can't support yourself: A) you yourself made poor
career/education choices.  B)  you should not have a house full of children
that taxpayers now have to clothe, feed AND educate.  My conscience is
completely clear.

Sonja

> From: "Joel Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2004/04/08 Thu AM 08:17:49 EDT
> To: "'RollTideFan-The University of Alabama Athletics Discussion List'"
>       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: [RollTideFan] Hey...Jobu  602 huh? (Now 614)
>
> I agree with you (Shiite!!) that the school systems are in need of one of
> them bridges built to those less fortunate.
>
> Interesting that you point out that we (although there is no 'we' in
Federal
> Gubmint) spend $5-6000 a year in Federal dollars but then you also mention
> how the federal plutocracy wants to dictate what the schools can teach.
> Although I don't necessarily agree with it, the entity who pays for the
> education (the teacher's salary, the buildings, the expenses) can in fact
> dictate what is taught. Whoever holds the purse-strings gets to call the
> shots. Until the school systems are treated like a business and ran
> accordingly, we are in store for more of the same.
>
> As far as choosing what kind of education your child receives, you have
that
> choice now: Moving to districts where the schools are better; sending your
> kids to private school and home-schooling are all valid options. What most
> people though are looking for are ways to have their children educated
> better, but at no direct cost to the parents. My opinion, differ with me
if
> you like, is that it isn't the gubmint's responsibility to provide 'free'
> education to the mass population. If it is, then they get to dictate what
is
> taught. If you, as a parent don't like it, fork over the money to move,
send
> them to a private school or have one of the parents stay home and teach
> little Jimmy the A,B,C's.
>
> For schools to teach what the local parents want means the parents are
going
> to have to pay for it. Having the parents pay $2-800 a month for their
kids
> to be taught the way in which the parents feel is usually where the fight
> ends.
>
> (Talking about throwing money at a problem, I saw on the news where
American
> troops were giving money to families (compensating them) who live in
houses
> that were destroyed as part of the round-up of the bad guys. Wonder how
much
> a clay and rock 3/2 rancher will fetch in a war-torn area with no
> electricity, water or roof?)
>
> And yes, there are millions of people who don't have running water. If
that
> isn't the case, explain to me why the entire population of Tinnersee
smells
> that way???:)

On
> Behalf Of Joe Goodson
> Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 8:25 PM
> To:   RollTideFan-The University of Alabama Athletics Discussion List
> Subject:      Re: [RollTideFan] Hey...Jobu  602 huh?
>
> > Interesting that we (the American gubmint) can globe-hop and re-build
> > schools and make sure all these fine folks have running water while
there
> > are schools in THIS country that don't have enough
> > money\space\teachers\supplies\etc.
>
> Whoa!!!  I know you didn't just say / type that.  Consider this.  Throwing
> money at problems has never done anything other than make them worse.
> Consider poverty.  We throw money at it and subsidize fatherless babies
and
> viola!  More fatherless babies born into poverty stricken pseudo families!
> Think about a drug addict or an alcoholic.  Keep throwing money at them
and
> see what you get.
>
> So when you think about education, think about the $5-6,000 that we spend
in
> federal dollars on each student every year.  You know, about 25% of the
> middleschool students cannot find the United States on a world map?  Can
you
> believe that?  It is not due to a lack of money.  It is due to a federal
> plutocracy that wants to dictate what the schools can teach, i.e..
"Heather