http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/jpruett.ssf?/base/sports/10861983466910.xml

ID required this year for penalties in SEC games
Wednesday, June 02, 2004
Huntsville Times
DESTIN, Fla. - Ever wondered which lineman on your favorite Southeastern Conference
football team was flagged for holding on that crucial play?

Ever wondered which one of your guys was guilty of a personal foul in that big pileup
at midfield?

You'll know from now on.

In one of the few rules changes for the 2004 season, officials will now be required to
identify the offending player by number after a penalty is called on the field.

The announcement will come from the referee in the white cap.

"We were in favor of it and I think it'll prove to be a good rule,'' said Bobby
Gaston, supervisor of the league's football officials, Tuesday at the annual SEC
Spring Meeting at the Sandestin Hilton. "It'll make our officials have to work a
little harder, but that's OK.''

The National Football League has had a similar rule for years.

"We don't mind borrowing from the NFL,'' Gaston said, "when we think they've got a
better idea.''

In other rules changes: SEC coaches will be able to call timeouts from the sidelines
themselves rather than having to go through a player; and a player in punt formation
will no longer be permitted to fake a punt, then throw a pass.

Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State's new football coach, was chatting with a friend in
the lobby of the hotel before Tuesday night's annual SEC reception.

"I just realized, I forgot my nametag,'' said Croom. "Maybe I'd better go back
upstairs and get it.''

"I think everybody here knows who you are, Sly,'' the friend said.

"Guess you're right,'' said Croom, the former Alabama lineman who became the SEC's
first black head football coach at the end of the 2003 season. "Let's go on in.''

Incidentally, Croom and Alabama coach Mike Shula, two of the three finalists for the
Crimson Tide job when Mike Price was abruptly cut loose 13 months ago, appeared
unusually chummy after the league's football coaches met privately Tuesday afternoon.

So did Croom and Alabama athletic director Mal Moore.

If anybody's harboring any ill feelings, it certainly doesn't show.

SEC athletic directors discussed whether to restructure the conference baseball
tournament and allow all 12 schools to play, rather than the top eight.

In the end, they decided against it.

"The ADs thought this year's tournament - which didn't include Alabama, Auburn and
Mississippi State - was an anomaly,'' said associate commissioner Mark Womack.

Myles Brand, the reform-minded president of the NCAA, will huddle with the 12 school
presidents Friday morning on the final day of the four-day meetings.

Brand is expected to emphasize the NCAA's new academic reform package.

Contact John Pruett at [EMAIL PROTECTED]