Advance permits for RV parking at games sold out

The Associated Press
July 31, 2004

Recreational vehicle owners have reserved all the $250-$450 campus parking permits for Alabama football games at Tuscaloosa this fall, leaving late RV tailgaters to search for vacant spots in the city.

University transportation director Ronnie Robertson said campus construction projects reduced the number of RV parking spots this year. Additional RV parking will be allowed at some locations on the edge of campus, he said.

Some of those locations are on Campus Drive east of the four-way stop at Bryce Hospital, in the new Medical School lot, at the old Fort Brandon Armory lot, in the old Capstone Medical Center lot, in the lower Recreation Center lot and the new residence hall lot on Hackberry Lane - if construction activity permits.

Including the north Ferguson lot, residence hall construction is taking out about 200-250 first-come-first-serve RV spots, but east campus should hold at least that many, Robertson said.

The university issued 60 fewer RV permits in anticipation of renovations to Coleman Coliseum, which will start midseason and cramp parking further.

Twenty-three RVs can park at Queen City Park for $375, and 10 can park at River Road East Park for $400. The city and DCH Regional Medical Center also have RV parking lots.

Parking officials hope to avoid congestion caused by RVs rolling in Friday afternoons, Robertson said.

"We still have to look at the fact that this is an educational institution," he said.

Jim Eberlien, 65, of Gulf Shores, has had season tickets for the past 20 years and has parked his motor home in several places over the years because of campus parking changes.

"The main focus of the university is not the football team or me parking my motor home," he said. "We understand the university has to grow."

Robertson said some fans don't like moving out of favorite spots, but for Eberlien, he'll park anywhere if it means he gets to enjoy the game-day atmosphere and see his beloved team play.

But longtime RVer and UA graduate Harold McBride, 77, of Birmingham is dismayed.

"It seems like they want to run everybody off. It's just not right," he said.

Restrictive measures enacted by the university led McBride to start parking in downtown Tuscaloosa two years ago. McBride has a spot reserved for the season, and said there is a long waiting list at his lot.

McBride said RV owners feel betrayed because UA officials in the past have promised to expand accommodations for them, but so far have not expanded.

-- Yea, Alabama! Drown'em Tide! RMc.