Gallion says Fulmer subpoena will be served
Wednesday, August 04, 2004
MIKE PERRIN
News staff writer

Attorney Thomas Gallion says a setback in a jurisdictional ruling Monday in Tuscaloosa
won't stop the less-than-civil war that's raging with Tennessee football coach Phillip
Fulmer.

Gallion said Tuesday that he has lawyers in the Volunteer State willing to seek a
subpoena on Fulmer, compelling him to give a deposition in the Kenny Smith lawsuit.

"I've been on the phone all day and I've obtained one, maybe two, very good lawyers in
Tennessee to take the Kenny Smith case," Gallion said. "We're going to serve (Fulmer).
We've found a way to serve him for his deposition, and we've got lawyers to re-file
the case if our clients decide to move forward in Tennessee."

Tuscaloosa County Circuit Court Judge Scott Donaldson dismissed the lawsuit filed by
Smith, a former University of Tennessee football player and a one-time Alabama
recruit, and his parents. Donaldson ruled that the Alabama courts do not have
jurisdiction because the plaintiffs live in Tennessee and all but one of the
defendants live outside Alabama. That includes Fulmer.

Donaldson did not rule on the merits of the lawsuit.

Smith, his father, Kenneth, and his mother, Vicki Smith Dagnan, have not yet decided
whether to re-file the case in Tennessee. The defamation suit was spawned by Fulmer's
statements, reported in NCAA documents, that Smith's mother had an extramarital affair
with an Alabama assistant coach.

Gallion again challenged Fulmer to tell the truth concerning his involvement in the
NCAA investigation of Memphis prep standout Albert Means that led to the University of
Alabama being placed on probation.

Gallion is one of three attorneys of record in a $60 million lawsuit filed by fired
assistant coaches Ronnie Cottrell and Ivy Williams against the NCAA. Cottrell and
Williams were part of Mike DuBose's staff that was released following a 3-8 season in
2000.

Fulmer is not a defendant in the Cottrell-Williams suit, but Gallion has been
attempting to get his deposition in that case concerning information he gave to
investigator Richard Johanningmeier, who is a defendant.

There is some disagreement over what information Gallion could pursue in a deposition
from Fulmer taken as part of the Smith lawsuit. Several lawyers said Fulmer could
refuse to answer anything not directly related to the Smith lawsuit.

But, Gallion said, "if I get him under oath, he's history."

"I've got four boxes of documents on him - all the way from Linda Bensel-Meyers to Tee
Martin to Jamie Naughright," the Montgomery attorney said, referring to individuals
involved in recent complaints of athletic or academic improprieties at Tennessee. "His
deposition will take me two days, from sunup to sundown."