http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/040815/ua.shtml

Newcomers try to give UA boost at wide receiver

By Gentry Estes

TUSCALOOSA — Like many of Alabama's other new wide receivers, Will Oakley showed up
for pass drills this summer in an effort to get a jump on the fall.

On the very first play, he lined up across from starting free safety Roman Harper,
which meant high school was over.

"I was like, 'Oh, god, this is the real deal.' " said Oakley with a chuckle. "After
that, I was kind of saying, 'I can play.' I wouldn't be here if I couldn't."

Sunshine boys, Florida crew — they're still searching for a nickname.

But among Florida prospects and week-old Crimson Tide receivers Oakley, Keith Brown
and D.J. Hall, it's a safe bet someone will make a name for himself this season.

"We've got some young guys coming in that we think can do a good job and get on the
field for us early and be productive," Alabama head coach Mike Shula said. "If we
don't think that, we're not going to put them out there."

But somebody has to go out there, and all three recruits said they came to Alabama for
this reason. It's well documented that Alabama returns just one healthy receiver —
Tyrone Prothro — with game experience. It also didn't escape attention that Shula
called wide receiver the team's "scariest" position heading into this season.

These recruits knew that, too, and that why they're here, to play now.

Starting with Monday's first scrimmage, they have an ideal and rare opportunity to
step in right away for a Southeastern Conference program. It's a chance none of the
three plan to waste.

"I want to be the man they call on," said Brown, a 6-foot-3 product of Fort Walton
Beach, Fla.

All three receivers spent the summer working against Alabama's defensive backs,
learning routes, steps and plays while getting used to the speed of throws from
quarterback Brodie Croyle.

All that extra work was obvious when practice started last Tuesday, and the younger
receivers earned attention with several nice plays. The three names that have come up
the most so far are the trio of Florida products.

"They're coming in better than I did last year," said redshirt freshman Matt Caddell,
who figures to get one of the starting receiver slots alongside Prothro. "D.J. Hall,
Keith Brown and Will Oakley have stepped their game up. If they set the bar high and
they want to be great, I think it won't be that tough.

"And I think they have that mindset."

Echoed Croyle: "We'll bring them along slowly, but those guys have got unbelievable
talent. They can play."

Brown caught 56 passes his senior prep season for 1,310 yards and 15 touchdowns. He
added five rushing touchdowns and scores on punt and kick returns, earning a spot in
the Cali-Florida Bowl, an annual all-star game between California and Florida,
arguably the top two recruiting bases in the country.

Also of Fort Walton Beach but from a different high school, Hall snagged 44 passes for
974 yards and 13 scores last season. Like Brown, he was a dangerous special teams
threat, scoring four times on kick returns.

Oakley is a bit more local in spirit. He was raised an Alabama fan, and returned to
the Crimson Tide not only to play, just because he felt that's where he would always
be. He chose No. 7 as a fan of former Tide receiver Sam Collins, who resembles Oakley
in build and ability.

While Brown and Hall are deep threats, Oakley is more likely to be a possession
receiver, running slants for tough catches and key first downs.

It's been slow progress this summer, and the learning curve has continued into the
extra days of the fall.

"The first week I got here, I was lost," Hall admitted. "It was a big adjustment. I
had no idea what was going on. But probably after the third week, I was ready to go,
learning everything quickly."

Said offensive coordinator Dave Rader after Tuesday's first practice: "They've shown
they have some big play potential, but they've shown they can't concentrate very hard.
We've this yin and yang thing at work. But they are an exciting group."