(It says video, but I didn't confirm it since I can't stream video right now.)

kurt

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_231182133.html

Eating Contest Turns Into Brawl Outside 2News Studios

Aug 18, 2004 5:20 pm US/Mountain

A food eating contest turns ugly live on TV. It went from eating, to throwing food, to
throwing fists. Unfortunately it happened right outside the 2News Main Street Studios.

It was supposed to be a fun eating contest between rival high school football players.
It started out as an event with two football teams trying to beat each other in a
Subway food eating contest with cheerleaders from both schools on the sidelines.

Then suddenly things got really ugly when the rules changed to an eating free for all.

"Now we got a water fight, now we got a food fight, now we got a real fight,
unbelievable let's go back inside. This is out of control," said 2News sports anchor
David James who was covering the event live on 2News at Noon.

It was a fight on live TV that took everyone by surprise including all of us here at
2News.

"We're not happy with what happened outside on the plaza”, said KUTV News Director
Steve Charlier.

The event was organized by a public relations firm called the Summit Group which
represents Subway.

“They approached us here at 2News to air the contest and we agreed to broadcast it,”
Charlier said. "We chose to televise it for positive reasons to show two rival
football teams having fun building up to a big weekend."

After it was all over school administrators from Hunter agreed to come into an office
to view the tape. They were not happy.

"It's a sad thing because we came here to have a little fun and now it turns out to
affect both schools in a negative way," said Devon Hartley Asst. Principal at Hunter
High School.

Bingham High administrators are not commenting and Jordan School District says it will
not comment because they say Bingham administrators were not aware of the event and it
was not school sanctioned.

Hunter administrators say there could be possible suspensions and other disciplinary
action against those involved in the fight.

If there are suspensions those football players may not play in Friday night’s big
rivalry opener.

Both schools are still investigating the incident.

Bingham’s head football coach was there when the fight broke out. Hunter’s coach was
not at the eating contest.

The fight broke up within seconds. After 2News cut away we called police and
paramedics.

Other than a few bruises no one was seriously injured.