Backup quarterbacks can win - just ask Tide coach's dad
Tuesday, October 12, 2004
By PAUL GATTIS
Times Sports Staff [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Maybe it's a Shula thing, something in the genes that
passed from father to son.

Before the Super Bowl became an overblown circus known
more for its wardrobe malfunction than the game itself,
there was Don Shula.

He was a sideline fixture in the days when the Super
Bowl was just a game and not a corporate festival. The
father of Alabama's football coach guided teams to four
of the first eight Super Bowls.

And a more subtle aspect of that legacy is that twice
Shula did it with backup quarterbacks.

"I won a lot of games with backup quarterbacks," Shula
said Saturday while watching Alabama's 45-17 win over
Kentucky.

To which son Mike might ask, "What's the secret?"

That's because the Crimson Tide has used three starting
quarterbacks in six games this season in compiling a 4-2
record.

Brodie Croyle started the first three games before
tearing a knee ligament and being sidelined for the
season. Marc Guillon then stepped in and struggled
through two games before missing the Kentucky game with
a stiff back.

Third-string quarterback Spencer Pennington turned in an
"admirable" effort, according to offensive coordinator
Dave Rader, in the blowout victory over Kentucky.

But where is Earl Morrall when you really need him?

Morrall, now retired and living in Naples, Fla., was
Shula's backup quarterback with the Baltimore Colts in
1968. But he became the starter when Johnny Unitas went
down with an elbow injury in the final game of the
preseason.

That injury, in fact, caused nerve damage in Unitas' arm
and was once the subject of a cover story in Sports
Illustrated.

With Morrall at quarterback, the Colts went 13-1 and
marched into Super Bowl III as the NFL champions and the
overwhelming favorites to whip the AFL's New York Jets.
Of course, no one remembers Super Bowl III for Morrall.

That was another quarterback. The New York Jets' Joe
Namath - ironically, a former Alabama quarterback -
guaranteed a victory and then led a 16-7 win over the
Colts.

Morrall would get his Super Bowl ring with the Colts in
the 16-13 win over Dallas in Super Bowl V, again
stepping in when Unitas was forced from the game with
bruised ribs. But by then, Shula had already moved on to
coach the Miami Dolphins.

After that game, though, Shula engineered Morrall's
arrival in Miami.

"He was a veteran quarterback who had been around and
played a lot," Shula said. "He was brought in just for
that reason - as insurance. When I got to Miami and he
became available, I said to my owner that I wanted to
bring him in."

Yes, Shula wanted him, but Dolphins owner Joe Robbie
didn't. As Shula remembered more than 30 years later,
this is the conversation they had:

"Why? You've got Bob Griese?" Robbie said.

"Just as insurance," Shula replied.

"What's he making?"

"Well, he's making a lot of money - $90,000."

"$90,000 for a backup?"

Indeed, that insurance policy became a sweet safety net
for the Dolphins when Griese broke his ankle in the
fifth game of the 1972 season.

And Shula and Morrall were united again.

In NFL history, 1972 stands alone without explanation -
an acronym of sorts for perfection. Each season, until
all 32 teams lose a game, the '72 Dolphins are the
inevitable standard of comparison until their 17-0
record remains unmatched and largely unchallenged for
still another year.

Perfection, achieved with a backup quarterback.

Morrall completed 83-of-150 passes that season for 1,360
yards and 11 touchdowns - laughably modest numbers in
today's pass-happy game. But Morrall was named the AFC's
Player of the Year by The Sporting News.

Morrall wasn't a part of the ultimate win that season -
the 14-7 victory over Washington in Super Bowl VI -
because Shula chose to go back to a recovered Griese.
Morrall, according to a 2002 story in the Boston Globe,
was disappointed but understanding.

So is there a moral in this story for Mike Shula?

"You've got to have them for a while and make sure that
you train them properly," his father said. "And you've
got to give them some reps in practice."

That's the advantage father had over son. Morrall had
been in the NFL for 12 years before replacing Unitas in
1968. And in the undefeated season with the Dolphins,
Morrall was 38 years old.

That hardly compares to Guillon and Pennington, who had
one career start between them coming into this season.
And in that start, Pennington was forced from the game
in the third quarter with a separated shoulder.

"There's no magic things I can tell him," Shula said.
"I'll watch a game and we'll talk and go over
situations. Nobody knows me better than Mike and nobody
knows Mike better than me.

"He's paying for sins of the past. When he gets his
fulfillment of scholarships and gets them coached,
that's when Mike should be judged."

It's the plight of a coach, to be defined by your
surroundings - be it the plays your players make or the
NCAA sanctions that came long before you arrived.

Or maybe even the injuries that are beyond your
control - whether they be to Johnny Unitas, Bob Griese
or Brodie Croyle.

So did Earl Morrall make Don Shula a great coach? Or did
Shula make Morrall a great quarterback?

"That had to have been," Shula said of signing Morrall
to the Dolphins, "one of the wisest moves we ever made."