Team injuries put added pressure on Prothro

By Christopher Walsh
Sports Writer
November 03, 2004

http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041103/NEWS/411030341/1011

TUSCALOOSA | When senior running back Ray Hudson was lost for the season with a knee injury against Kentucky, not only was the University of Alabama football team without its leading rusher, but its top pass receiver as well.

When sophomore running back Tim Castille was recently lost for the season with a knee injury against Tennessee, it was also suddenly without a player who going into the game was tied for second with sophomore wide receiver Tyrone Prothro in receptions behind Hudson.

Now Prothro is the only one of the three remaining, making it more important than ever that the Crimson Tide find ways to get him the football.

“That’s part of football and injuries happen," Prothro said. “When injuries happen, the next guy has to step up."

While sophomore tailback Kenneth Darby, freshman tailback Aaron Johns and sophomore fullback Le’Ron McClain will obviously see more snaps and handoffs, nothing could arguably help the offense more than getting more production out of the passing game and the young corps of wide receivers.

Topping that list is Prothro, who leads the Tide with 15 catches for 192 yards and one touchdown.

“He’s a playmaker," coach Mike Shula said. “Hopefully, he’ll continue to do that, but other guys as well. We have to get Keith Brown more involved, we have to get DJ Hall and Matt Caddell more involved. We’re really close to that. I’ve said it for three weeks and I’m tired of saying it."

Although he began the season with a sore ankle and junior quarterback Brodie Croyle’s season-ending knee injury resulted in Alabama dropping to last in Southeastern Conference passing, Alabama has seemingly been trying to get Prothro more involved all year.

One way of doing so has been to include him in non-passing situations. The only returning wide receiver with experience, Prothro’s taken five handoffs on end-arounds for 48 yards (and a 9.6 average).

That Prothro has started only one game is misleading as he’s by far taken the most snaps –- in part because among the wide receivers he’s the best blocker.

“If running the ball is going to [work] and we have to block for the rest of the year, then that’s what we’re going to do," Prothro said.

He’s also returned kicks with sophomore Brandon Brooks, and his 35.4 average would lead the nation if he had enough attempts to qualify.

But since his 100-yard return for a touchdown against Kentucky, Prothro hasn’t had a kickoff come his way.

“I don’t know if you can get him more returns," special teams coach Dave Ungerer said. “Part of it is based on kicks that go into the end zone for touchbacks. Part of it is kicking away from him and they’re trying to do that.

“I think we’re in a good situation having two guys back there that are dangerous guys. The thing that we have to coach more than anything right now is be patient."

But Prothro’s five catches for 71 yards against Tennessee on Oct. 23 may have been the equivalent of a breakthrough performance for this unit.

It tied Castille for the most catches in game (vs. West Carolina on Sept. 18), and was the most yards since Brown’s 91 against Utah State -- and the true freshman was aided by a 57-yard touchdown strike from Croyle.

In the previous seven games, Prothro had no more than two receptions and his season high was 35 yards.

“I thought Tyrone came to play," offensive coordinator Dave Rader said about the Tennessee game. “I’m not saying no one else did, but Tyrone was really on his game. He really had some nice routes, and it may be because Tennessee was aware of his speed and played off him some. We need that every week out of Tyrone."

Judging by what coaches see in practice, they’re optimistic the corner has been turned. Junior quarterback Spencer Pennington is getting more confident and more comfortable with his receivers each day.

However, considering the diminishing options at other positions, the potential of Prothro and others must continue to mature into production.

“Our younger guys run their routes better every day," Rader said. “It has to translate sooner or later. We keep thinking this is going to be the week."

--
ROLL TIDE!!
Rick