Bulldogs say Alabama hired wrong coach

By Tommy Deas
Sports Writer
November 03, 2004

http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041103/NEWS/411030340/1011

STARKVILLE, Miss. | The University of Alabama could have hired Sylvester Croom as its head football coach instead of Mike Shula.

Players at Mississippi State, where former Crimson Tide All-American Croom is in his first season as head coach, say Alabama made a mistake in choosing another former UA player, Shula, over Croom.

“I think they did," said offensive lineman David Stewart, a senior from Moulton. “I’m kind of glad they did."

Mal Moore, Alabama’s athletics director, interviewed both Shula and Croom last spring before offering the job to Shula, who took over after Mike Price was dismissed before ever coaching a game at Alabama. UA President Robert E. Witt said Price was fired for his conduct off the field.

Croom emerged as MSU’s top candidate to replace Jackie Sherrill, a former Alabama player and Mississippi State’s all-time winningest coach, after Sherrill retired at the end of last season. Croom was hired last December and has coached the Bulldogs to a 3-5 record so far in his first season.

Mississippi State’s players say they view Saturday’s game at Alabama as a mission. They want to win it for their coach.

“Everybody’s taking it as we’ve got to win this game for Coach Croom," said sophomore linebacker Michael Heard. “He doesn’t bring it up and we don’t bring it up. You can just tell.

“You did all that [he did] for your alma mater and they treat you like that, you know how he must feel."

Heard also believes Croom is a better coach than Shula.

“I’m glad they didn’t hire [Croom]," he said. “We’ve got the best coach. He’s turned the program around."

Jonathan Lowe, a freshman receiver for MSU, is the son of former UA player Eddie Lowe and nephew of all-time great Woodrow Lowe, a former UA linebacker. He has a sister currently enrolled at Alabama. Like his coach, Jonathan Lowe felt snubbed by Alabama in the recruiting process.

“Coach Croom said he was going to make the best of it, just like I am," he said. “We’re gunning for Alabama. We want to knock them off.

“Alabama hired who they wanted to hire. They hired Coach Shula and Mississippi State got Coach Croom. Now we’re going to show them. We’ve got to do what we’ve got to do."

--
ROLL TIDE!!
Rick