To: "RollTideFan - University of Alabama Athletics Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2004 10:41 PM
Subject: Re: [RollTideFan] Non...but cool.

Every positive integer is a multiple of 9 plus the sum of its digits.

Here is why.  Take 7843.  That's equal to

7×1000 + 8×100 + 4×10 + 3 which equals

7×(999 + 1) + 8×(99 + 1) + 4×(9 + 1) + 3 which equals

7×999 + 7×1 + 8×99 + 8×1 + 4×9 + 4×1 + 3 which equals

7×999 + 7 + 8×99 + 8 + 4×9 + 4 + 3 which equals

(7×999 + 8×99 + 4×9) + (7 + 8 + 4 + 3) which equals

9(7×111 + 8×11 + 4) + (7 + 8 + 4 + 3) which equals

a multiple of 9 + the sum of the digits.

Now when the number is rearranged, that number too is a
multiple of 9
plus the sum of its digits.

Since the sum of the digits is the same no matter how
the digits are
rearranged, when you subtract you get a multiple of 9
because the sum
of the digits cancel and leave the difference of two
multiples of 9,
which is a multiple of 9.

Since the result must be a multiple of 9, the sum of its
digits must
also be a multiple of 9.  Now you are given all the
digits but one,
so you add all the digits but one, and that missing
digit must be
just enough to add to the sum of the other digits to
make a multiple
of 9.

7843 = multiple of 9 + (7+8+4+3)
4387 = multiple of 9 + (4+7+8+3)
--------------- subtract these
3456 = multiple of 9 - multiple of 9 + (7+8+4+3) -
(4+7+8+3) =

a multiple of 9 + 0 =

a multiple of 9

That multiple of 9 is also a multiple of 9 plus the sum
of its
digits.  Therefore the sum of its digits must also be a
multiple of
9.

Suppose the person circles the 5 and gives you the three
digits
sqrambled as 4,6,3.  You know the sum of the digits must
be a
multiple of 9.  You add 4+6+3 and get 13.  The next
multiple of 9 is
18, so you know the circled digit must be 18-13 or 5

$1 to Google

Slef E.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Goodson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>