Castille denies redshirt rumor

By Christopher Walsh
Sports Writer
January 21, 2005

http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050121/NEWS/50121005/1011

TUSCALOOSA | Sophomore fullback Tim Castille doesn’t know where the rumor started that he might redshirt this upcoming season.

He just knows that it’s not true.

“It hasn’t even entered my thinking process,” Castille said Friday. “I plan on being back.”

Castille is three months into his rehabilitation after surgery to repair both the anterior cruciate ligament and the lateral collateral ligaments in his right knee _ injuries sustained on a blindside tackle during the closing moments of the Tennessee game on Oct. 23.

That gives him almost eight months until Alabama’s next game, Middle Tennessee State on Sept. 3.

However, with spring practice opening a month from today, Castille likely won’t participate in any contact drills or the annual A-Day Game on March 19.

“I think I’ll be able to go physically, but I don’t want to push it,” Castille said.

With sophomore running back Kenneth Darby also recovering from a pelvic stress fracture, Alabama will have underclassmen take most, if not all, of the snaps out of the backfield, like freshman tailback Aaron Johns.

Castille played both tailback and fullback last season, with 62 carries for 247 yards and six touchdowns. A key performer on third downs and short-yardage situations, he had 14 receptions for 104 yards.

Castille does have a redshirt year available. In 2003, the product of Briarwood was just the eighth true freshman to start in a season opener since freshmen became eligible in 1973.

--
Ricky Mac.