> In fact, I was told that not only would I NEVER be
> allowed to subscribe to their ISP, I would be lucky
> if
> they didn't discontinue my phone service altogether.

Just like that prick not to know basic Alabama law.
The PSC classifies phone service the same as electric
service; you can't deny it to anyone except for
reasons of non-payment without a court ruling. Of
course, you probably already knew that.

My problems with them are minor in comparison. I had a
terrible connection, sometimes so bad that I couldn't
understand the conversation I was attempting to have.
I gave up trying to access anything via fax or modem.
For six months they swore that their side was just
fine, and that it was in my lines.

I reinstalled everything once and checked all my
circuits with a fancy network gadget I borrowed from
work (all good). I told the service person the next
day what I did, and he couldn't understand how I would
check my lines without having them hooked up to the
phone lines. That was a huge red flag.

I put a piece of scotch tape on the box outside my
house before I left for work the day they were
supposed to come check for problems again. It was
still there when I got home. No difference in the
crappy static filled signal..

Within a week I received a bill with a $50 service
charge. I blew up. I called president prick like you
did, and he said that I had been asking for service
too much and that I needed to get my lines fixed
before I called again. We had words, but he rescinded
the $50 charge. He still wouldn't help with the crappy
signal (which he admitted he could hear during our
conversation).

A week later the line was completely dead. I opened
the box myself, pulled out the part that had little
burned spots at the connections and called them from
my neigbor's WITH THE PART NUMBER! Finally, they came
out, fixed their box, and I had a good signal.

My next bill had a $50 service charge. I sent it back
to them with a nice note telling them where they could
stick their bill and to disconnect me. The next day I
got a cellphone which costs about the same as the
monthly rape rate Otelco was getting and gives a
better signal!

Later a friend worked in the AR dept for a while. She
was fired for stupid reasons, but they needed her to
finsh with some project. On her last day, she cleared
all of my charges.

A couple of years ago I got my chance to get a little
more back. I was selling commercial type self-inking
stamps and had the opportunity to call on Otelco! They
bought a few date stamps and some other stuff. I wrote
up their order and overcharged them... guess....

Yes! $50!

It was a beautiful day.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]