well, thank God, his real name isn't Gator!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Jeff Todd
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 1:13 PM
To: RollTideFan-The University of Alabama Athletics Discussion List
Subject: [RollTideFan] Gator Todd steps up as Bama heads into postseason

Gator Todd steps up as Bama heads into postseason

By Christopher Walsh
Sports Writer
May 18, 2005

One would think that the son of a University of Alabama
legend would constantly be asked about his football
heritage.

But that's not the case for Gator Todd. Instead, almost
everyone asks him about his name before anything
regarding his father or his proficiency on the golf
course.

Perhaps that will change somewhat this weekend when the
freshman will help lead the Crimson Tide in the East
Regional of the 2005 NCAA Division I Men's Golf
Championships.

In order to advance to the championships (June 1-4, at
Caves Valley Golf Club in Owings Mills, Md.)
eighth-seeded Alabama needs to finish in the top 10 out
of 27 teams competing at Golf Club of Tennessee in
Nashville.

"It's going to be very competitive," Todd said. "The
East Regional is usually the toughest. We're going to
have to play really well, but I think we're up to it."

Even though it's only his first season, Todd has been
one of the players helping carry the Crimson Tide, which
is looking to overcome a last-round setback at the
recent SEC Championships to finish ninth.

He and fellow freshman Mark Harrell managed to both
place in the top 25, with Todd tying Auburn's Lee
Williams for 12th overall (71-71-79 -- 221).

"I felt like the whole year I've played two good rounds,
but couldn't finish a tournament," Todd said. "One day
would kill me. I don't think I've played my best yet
this year, but our team has really stuck together. It
seems like we've taken turns playing well. We've all
pitched in well."

Actually, during the six spring team events, Todd has
led the Tide with a 74.94 stroke average, and four times
he's placed in the top 12.

The other four golfers competing in all spring
tournaments were junior transfer Thomas Hagler (75.11),
Harrell (75.17), senior Clint Provost (75.61) -- who
last year shot a UA career low round of 65 in the SEC
Championships -- and freshman Joseph Sykora (76.89).

"I'm sure he'll be very excited," Tide coach Jay Seawell
said about Todd. "He just needs to put those wild
thoughts out of his head and do what he does best. He
needs to let the game just happen. All coaches say that,
but it's true.

"He sees the finish line before he gets there. He's
worried about winning the tournament on the first hole
on the last day. I think he's learned a great deal."

Todd has done that learning in a relatively short period
of time. Todd, who grew up focusing on baseball and
basketball, didn't start playing golf until he was 14
and quickly found a new passion. At Coffee High School
in Florence, he was named an American Junior Golf
Association All-American, ranked in the top 25 juniors
nationally, shot 67 in the first round of the 2004 Class
5A state championship and was named all-state.

But coming to Alabama had much more to do with Seawell
than his family.

"He just really turned the whole program around," Todd
said. "I think he's the best coach in the country. From
a players' standpoint, he makes you think that you can
do it. He thinks a lot about short game, which is the
main thing about scoring."

This weekend will mark the Crimson Tide's 14th NCAA
Tournament appearance and ninth regional since 1991. Its
best finish was third in 1975 (led by Jerry Pate),
though Seawell coached Augusta State to a fifth-place
finish in 2002 before leaving for Alabama.

With the conclusion of the academic year, the team has
been concentrating solely on golf and surviving one of
three regionals. The keys? Hit the fairways, avoid big
mistakes and get off to a good start.

"I couldn't get the ball to drop all year," Todd said
about his putting. "If we can just get a couple of guys
playing well it will probably feed off on the other
guys."

Incidentally, Todd's father, Richard, is the former
Alabama quarterback who lettered from 1973-75 before
being a first-round draft pick by the New York Jets in
1975. He introduced his son him to golf.

"He's obviously a legend somewhat and I'm proud of
that," Todd said. "He's been to every golf tournament I've
ever played. I don't see him ever missing any of my
tournaments at all."

Oh, and as for the name, it's a nickname his aunt gave
him when he was two months old. His real name is
Richard.

Reach Christopher Walsh at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or at (205)
722-0196.