http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050518/NEWS/50518005/1011

Alabama legend Bennett to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

By Ralph D. Russo
The Associated Press
May 18, 2005

NEW YORK | Cornelius Bennett found out about his election into the College
Football Hall of Fame about a month ago, and was asked to keep it to himself
until it was formally announced.

He couldn’t keep the good news totally secret.

“I had to call and tell Momma and I had to tell my wife,” the former Alabama
linebacker said at a news conference Wednesday. “If I didn’t tell them I
wouldn’t be here today.”

Bennett, Heisman Trophy winner John Huarte and Southern California tailback
Anthony Davis are among the 11 players and two coaches that make up the 2005
Hall of Fame class. They will be inducted in December at an awards banquet in
New York and enshrined at the hall in South Bend, Ind., next year.

Also entering the Hall of Fame are Pittsburgh offensive lineman Mark May,
Michigan defensive back Tom Curtis, Penn State offensive tackle Keith Dorney,
Ohio State end Jim Houston, Texas fullback Roosevelt Leaks, Oklahoma running
back Joe Washington, Stanford defensive lineman Paul Wiggin and Illinois wide
receiver David Williams.

Don Nehlen, the winningest coach in West Virginia history, and Pat Dye, who won
four Southeastern Conference titles in 12 seasons at Auburn, round out the
latest class.

Bennett finished seventh in the Heisman balloting as a senior in 1986 and won
the Lombardi Award as the nation’s top lineman or linebacker.

“It’s a great honor, something that we’re really going to cherish,” said
Bennett, who played in four Super Bowls with the Buffalo Bills. “I can bring my
kids to South Bend and show them that Daddy was an all right football player.”

Huarte won the Heisman for Notre Dame in 1964, quarterbacking the Fighting
Irish to a share of the national title.

Davis finished second in the Heisman voting as a senior in 1974, but his
signature game came in 1972 when he scored six touchdowns against Notre Dame.

May is the fourth member of the 1980 Pittsburgh team to make the college Hall
of Fame, along with Dan Marino, Hugh Green and Jimbo Covert.

Like Bennett, May had a long, successful pro career as part of one of the most
famous offensive lines in NFL history — the Washington Redskins’ “Hogs.”

“The NFL Hall of Fame would be great, but for me this is it,” May said.

Nehlen was the 17th coach in Division I-A history to win 200 games and finished
his career 202-128-8. During 21 seasons in Morgantown, W. Va., he won 149 games
and turned the program into one that could compete with the best in the nation.

Still, induction into the Hall of Fame humbled him.

“I was looking for my wife’s name as a voter,” Nehlen said. “I figured she must
have voted about 1,000 times.”

Dye’s head coaching career started at East Carolina and he spent a year at
Wyoming before coming to Auburn in 1981. He won three straight SEC titles from
1987-89, and nearly lured Bennett away from rival Alabama.

“I committed to Auburn for a couple of weeks until coach (Bear) Bryant came to
my house and I kind of changed my mind,” Bennett said. “Coach Dye and I always
have a laugh about that.”