http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2005-05-26-coaches-ballots-revealed_x.htm

By Jack Carey, USA TODAY

The 62 members of the American Football Coaches Association who vote in this
fall's USA TODAY/ESPN Coaches' Poll will emerge from 55
seasons of secrecy and make public their final regular-season ballot, the
group's executive director told USA TODAY on Wednesday.

That vote, to be taken Dec. 4, probably will count one-third toward the
selection of teams to play in the Rose Bowl, which will
decide this season's Bowl Championship Series national title, and also help
determine participants in the BCS' Fiesta, Sugar and
Orange bowls. The BCS has not yet finalized its formula.

The decision reverses a practice of keeping ballots secret, which coaches have
said prevented potential conflicts with opponents and
fans. But the move addresses criticism that the secret weekly ballot allowed
coaches to escape accountability for their votes.

Grant Teaff, AFCA executive director, said many of the 119 Division I-A coaches
"really didn't want to do this." But he said they
voted "overwhelmingly" to make the final ballots public because "we want to do
whatever it takes for the coaches to be involved in
our game." It's not known whether any coach will decline to vote because of the
change.

BCS bowls can be worth $15 million or more to participants, but the 8-year-old
BCS has been dogged by controversy concerning its
selection process. The Associated Press pulled its poll from the formula after
last season, and BCS officials are looking at putting
together a new poll to take its place, potentially made up of former athletic
administrators and former coaches.

How the votes will be released to the public has not been determined, said
Monte Lorell, USA TODAY managing editor for sports. USA
TODAY collects ballots and distributes the poll.

Though coaches' ballots for the rest of the season will remain secret, Lorell
said Wednesday's announcement represents progress.

"We've always tried to push for transparency, and we're glad the coaches agreed
that that's the best route to take," he said. "It's
the coaches' poll, and it's their decision what to release."