By Jack Carey, USA TODAY

ESPN has decided to drop its co-sponsorship of the
American Football Coaches Association's Top 25 poll two
weeks after coaches announced they will publicly
disclose their votes for the last regular-season poll
but not for preceding rankings.
The poll, administered by USA TODAY, is expected to
remain part of the Bowl Championship Series formula,
which decides the teams that participate in the BCS
title game. This season, that game will be the Rose
Bowl.

Vince Doria, ESPN's vice president and director of news,
said the network was uneasy last year when California
and Texas switched places in the final BCS standings,
costing Cal a spot in the Rose Bowl.

Cal lost support in the coaches' poll and Associated
Press media rankings despite winning its final game of
the season. Texas passed the Golden Bears despite having
ended its season the previous week.

"It became a big story which carried our name, and the
confidentiality of the coaches prevented us from
covering the story the way we wanted to," said Doria.
"At that point, we began talking about whether it was in
our best interests to continue."

Doria said ESPN had discussions with the coaches
association about releasing the week-by-week voting only
at the end of the regular season on USATODAY.com and
ESPN.com.

"We thought full disclosure through the year was
necessary for us to continue our involvement," he said.

Doria said for the time being, ESPN will maintain
co-sponsorship of coaches polls in men's and women's
basketball, although he said discussions with those
coaches associations about making votes public is
ongoing.

He said the network is not as concerned about
confidentiality in those polls because they are not
components used by the NCAA in selecting teams for the
postseason.

"I'm surprised to hear of ESPN's decision given our
conversations of late," said Monte Lorell, USA TODAY's
managing editor for sports.

Shortly after last season ended in a swirl of
controversy, the Associated Press pulled its poll out of
the BCS formula. BCS officials have been working on
developing another poll to replace the AP's. Voters in
the new poll probably will be former coaches and
athletics administrators.

ESPN became a co-sponsor of the coaches poll in 1997,
six years after USA TODAY took over the administration
of the poll.

"Everyone has to make a decision based on their own
mission," said AFCA executive director Grant Teaff. "Our
Division I-A head coaches made a decision to release
their final regular-season vote in support of the BCS
and for what they believe is best for our game. I'm sure
ESPN has made its decision on similar principles.

"We have a good partner in USA TODAY, (which) has worked
tirelessly with us to make the coaches' poll a sound and
significant part of today's football culture. USA TODAY
and the AFCA will discuss whether we will add another
media outlet to the name of the poll or simply keep it
the USA TODAY Top 25 Coaches' Poll."

Starting after the 2006 season, Fox Sports will begin
televising all the BCS games except for the Rose Bowl.
Asked Tuesday if his network would be interested in
replacing ESPN as co-sponsor, Fox spokesman Dan Bell
said, "Our BCS interest is focused only on our
television coverage, which begins in January 2007."

begin 666 clear.gif
`
end