By Christopher Walsh
Sports Writer
June 09, 2005

TUSCALOOSA | The Tuscaloosa News filed a motion Thursday
with the Circuit Court of Tuscaloosa County requesting
that documents in the Ronnie Cottrell and Ivy Williams
lawsuit against the National Collegiate Athletic
Association and others be unsealed and available for
public review.

The newspaper asked the court to intervene shortly after
the entire 1,500-page response to motions for dismissal,
which was sealed earlier in the morning at the request
of the defendants.

The motion states: "It was well established that The
Tuscaloosa News and the general public have a right of
access to such documents and information under the
Alabama common and statutory law and First Amendment to
the Constitution. Unless The Tuscaloosa News is
permitted to intervene in this action, the public's
right to be beard concerning access to the court records
and proceedings will not be protected."

The response by the plaintiffs was filed at
approximately 4:45 p.m. Wednesday afternoon, making it
public record for roughly 15 minutes until the
courthouse closed for the day.

During that short time period, The Tuscaloosa News
obtained copies of portions of the response, which are
now electronically displayed on its website, and made
arrangements to have the entire document copied.

The newspaper requested a hearing on the matter, citing
Alabama law that a court must conduct a hearing before
granting a motion to seal court records.

"We see that important public issues have been raised in
this suit, Tuscaloosa News executive editor Douglas Ray
said. "Often documents can do more to substantiate or
refute allegations than we can get from people's
comments. Court records generally should be available to
the public and we're not aware of any special reasons
why this court record has been sealed."

Ray noted that the motion is not specific to the
response, stating, "We'd be intervening either way."

At the request of the NCAA attorneys, Tuscaloosa
attorney Delaine Mountain asked the court to seal the
response, which includes depositions and testimony
covered by a protective order. The original motion is
also under seal.

The $60 million defamation lawsuit is scheduled for jury
trial starting July 11 before Judge Steve Wilson.

A hearing regarding the summary judgement will be held
June 23, with another hearing on a motion to compel -
asking for an order to force defendant Tom Culpepper to
produce a document plaintiffs believe will show his
legal fees are being paid by the NCAA - set for the
following day.

Reach Christopher Walsh at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or at (205)
722-1096.