[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> P.S. - You might be interested in
> http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12333609.htm
> which brings up the case I mentioned early in this dicussion - the
> Fighting Irish.  [...]

I donut rightly recall if I set this to RTF.  I think I did, but just
in case..

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050806downey,1,3448367.column?coll=cs-college-utility

Mike Downey

No blarney: Leprechaun must go

August 7, 2005

I want that leprechaun put to sleep.

Do you hear me, NCAA? I don't want to see that darn leprechaun at Notre
Dame's games anymore. No more of that goofy green suit. No more of that
hokey hat. Most of all, no more of that offensive, insensitive,
insulting, dehumanizing dance.

As a proud Irish-American, I demand that you make the Fighting Irish of
Notre Dame get rid of that stupefying, stereotypical mascot of theirs.
And that little jig of his. And I mean pronto, if you'll excuse my use
of Indian lingo.

Ladies and gentlemen of the NCAA, I implore you. Do that thing you do.
Do what you did Friday, when your executive committee announced that it
no longer would tolerate any "hostile and abusive
racial/ethnic/national origin mascots, nicknames or imagery."

A leprechaun is all that.

He is mischievous by nature. He is up to no good. He clearly is
abusive. Have you ever seen him treat Notre Dame's enemies with any
kindness?

And what of that big, crooked stick in his hand? He doesn't carry that
cudgel because he is lame. It isn't a cane. A leprechaun doesn't limp.
Look at that little fool do his dance. He moves fine. No, a shillelagh
looks like a weapon to me. You wouldn't let a Seminole or an Illini
walk around a football stadium with a bow and arrow, would you?

I can guess what you are thinking. You're thinking an Irish-American is
not an oppressed minority. Or hasn't been one.

Well, you couldn't be more wrong. Irish immigrants were given a very
bad time in America when they first came here. They were treated as
suspicious foreigners. Their ancestry and accents were mocked. They
were maligned as "Micks" and stigmatized as brawling drunks.

Therefore, I would like you righteous brothers and sisters at the NCAA
to put an end to the degradation of this "Fighting Irish" slur once and
for all. A lot of us don't fight. I don't fight. Well, I did toss a guy
out of a bar in Greece last summer, but he was drunker than I was.

The NCAA has made a good start. The actions it took Friday gave notice
to the Bradley Braves and Central Michigan Chippewas and Utah Utes that
they had better take all of their Native American garb, arrowheads,
weapons and war paint and dump the whole pile into a Dumpster.

If these people want to host a postseason competition ever again, they
will have to abide by the NCAA's rules and lose the Indian theme.

You, noble warlords of the NCAA, are taking no prisoners. University of
North Dakota Fighting Sioux? What do you care if there are Sioux who
don't care? So what if there are remaining members of the Sioux tribe
who are honored by this legacy? Your edict has come down. You have
spoken. The next time North Dakota plays for a national championship,
its mascot had better be Buffalo Bill.

OK, so a lot of us happen to believe that tribal names are not unto
themselves offensive. Illini, Seminole, Chippewa, Choctaw … these don't
seem so bad to us. They have history and dignity. We have entire states
named for Indian tribes, for heaven's sake. What do you think the word
"Illinois" is, anyway … French? Its origin is Algonquin.

What some of us do resent is the way Caucasians paint their faces red
and wear buckskin and feathers and go hey-yo-yo-yo and woo-woo-woo. It
doesn't matter if there are some Indians who take no umbrage at this,
not until you have taken a vote from every last one of them in this
land that their ancestors founded.

Jimmy Carter was as humane and decent a president as this nation has
had in this last half-century. So it was appalling to see him at
Atlanta Braves baseball games, chanting and chopping a make-believe
tomahawk. There are ways to support a favorite team without making a
mockery of an entire culture and race.

Somebody should take those Cleveland Indians caps with the grinning
red-faced Indian and fling them into Ohio's largest incinerator.
Somebody should go up to an African-American athlete on the Washington
Redskins and ask him how he would like it if his team were known as the
Washington … uh, you know.

I don't mind a team being called the Irish, I really don't. I take
pride in my heritage. I wish we could live in a world in which a
university's teams could be called the Fighting Italians, the Fighting
Mexicans, the Fighting Japanese or the Fighting Germans.

Yet if we get rid of some, mustn't we get rid of all? Can a school
really get away with calling itself the Fighting Irish in the wake of
this NCAA posse's vigilant PC crackdown? Doesn't this scurrilous
nickname need to go? Isn't it time for the leprechaun to sleep with the
fishes?

We have come to a seminal moment in the history of America's collegiate
athletics, and I do not mean the team names at Florida State.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]