Der Herr Hofrat wrote:

>>Ish Rattan wrote:

>>>Linux kernel has no notion of real-time and hence priority.
>>>

>>Uhh... are you smoking crack?
>>
>>I'm happy to acknowledge that scheduling latencies are rather uncertain
>>but it definately knows and respects SCHED_RR and SCHED_FIFO.  I use
>>SCHED_FIFO for soft real-time tasks.  They have been supported for a
>>LOOOONG time!
>>

> if that were so then you would define a thread being SCHED_RR and

 > the box would drop dead as it would ONLY be handling THIS thread
 > and nothing else - even if you run a SCHED_RR/SCHED_FIFO thread
 > your lowest priority thread will get its slot in linux thus you
 > have a "statistical priority" but no absolut priority . No need
 > to smoke crack to understand this...

Uh?  If there is a higher priority SCHED_RR/SCHED_FIFO process ready to
run it will preempt the lower priority SCHED_RR/SCHED_FIFO processes.

The box will only drop dead (from the point of view of lower priority,
time share processes) if the rt processes never sleep.  This is what any
prioritized system will do and is what it should do.  This is not
statistical priority.

No offense, but have you guys ever tried standard linux prioritized
scheduling?  Since many seem to believe that it doesn't even exist, I
have to assume not.  Its no replacement for RTLinux on super low
latencies or highly consistent latency, but it is there, does work and
is very suitable for many tasks.  However, you are dealing with typical
latencies that are 3 orders of magnitude higher than RTLinux and worst
case that are more like 5 orders of magnitude worse. ...but that is just
fine for many tasks.

> hofrat

Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer                             iRobot Corporation
Senior Systems Engineer                    Military Systems Division