To generate a 120kHz stable square wave at an i/o port you need dedicated
hardware. With current PC hardware you can't do this in software because of
interrupt processing delays. The period of around 8 microseconds is less than
the typical maximum interrupt latency, and every interrupt occurring during
handler execution will extend handler execution time. These delays are very
hardware architecture dependent.

A solution is to use an i/o board with an 8254 or similar timer, configured so
the timer directly controls an output bit. A PLD-based board like the one I'm
developing would do this easily too.

John

--
John Storrs, Laboratory for Micro Enterprise
125 Culham 1 Site, Culham, Abingdon OX14 3DA, UK