Maybe I'm missing something here too.  I downloaded RTL v2.2a and never
saw an option for including or not including HARD REAL TIME SUPORT.  I
compiled anyway and got what appears to be working RTL kernel.  I don't
think I just missed it because I was rather disturbed by it's absence and
checked again looking for this option specifically.

Am I just going nuts, or is this no longer an option?  I remember it was
there when I install v1.2 long ago.

-Richard