Ok here are more details about it.
The multitasking system in call MultiTask from USSoftware. The code I am
running is simple
The first command - after saving a few registers which I need to do - in
the interrupt code is writing to a flip-flop on the board which resets
the interrupt line. Because of this I only have to watch this irq 9 line
with an oscilloscope. That's where I found a 25 us reaction time. I know
it takes about 0.8us to write to the flip-flop because its memory
mapped.
BTW: A write to a regular io port on an ISA board takes me about 1us (I
use two out instr., one with 1 and one with 0 and there is an 1us puls
on the parallelport out, which I have used). I can't tell how long the
part of writing the 1 to the port is. because it's an average of set and
reset.

I want to get a feeling if most of the time is wasted in the os or if
this is the limit - or about the limit of the processor together with
the ISA environment.

The system uses Pharlab extender and runs in 32 bit mode

Heinz

( I would like to do it with RTL or RTAI, but you know: never change a
running system!)