On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 08:16:41PM +0200, Thomas Gross wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does anybody know, are there any driver or applications for a standard
> sound card for rt-linux. I want it for data aquisition and noise analysis.
>
> Thomas

Hmmm... bad idea.  Sound cards have a few properties that make them
good sound cards, but bad data acquisition cards.

  - input and output signals are currents, not voltages
  - input is generally heavily filtered, with unknown filters, but
    generally cut out anything below 20 Hz, around 50 or 60 Hz (depending
    on your local line frequency), and above 10 kHz.  The <20 Hz
    filter is nasty, since it makes DC measurements impossible.
  - unknown absolute conversion between input current and sample
    value
  - dynamic input gain control
  - limited range of speeds
  - output generally has crappy electrical properties that do not
    cause audible noise, such as high frequency glitches.

Having said this, I'm sure there is an application where this would
be acceptible for measurement.

dave...