Hi,

        I'm just trying to figure out how to visualise what going on
when RT-Linux is running. I'm a bit confused trying to figure out how an
RT Linux system fits together.

For me, with a normal Linux kernel, I think of is running a number of
individual processes. When threads turn up in Linux (VMS or Windoze for
that matter) I think of it as being a separate execution sequence (It
own memory etc.) BUT it is with in a process. That is it can only get a
chance to run when the process is switched into the CPU AND that thread
within the particular process is chosen to execute.

With RT-Linux is there only ONE process on the system. Is then has a
number of threads inside it (One of which is the Linux Kernel). Then to
start a RTL program off you have to insmod it into the single process?

I would have a problem if RTL just ran normal processes, where the idle
process was the Linux Kernel. Indeed this is what I though happened,
judging by some of the documents. But the thread stuff seems to
contradict this. Has it been updated in some way.

Maybe there is a diagram around showing this. As yet I haven't seen on.
On my webpage I've put, what I think is going on. If someone could take
a look and tell me if I way off (Most likely:) of what ever. I'd really
appreciate it.

http://www.mxnet.demon.co.uk/RT-Linux/RTLinux.html

Many Thanks

Mark