Hi,

> I was told to change the value HZ in the file param.h
> and afterwards recompile the kernel. However, having
> done this the performance seemed not to improve at
> all. I also wonder whether I missed something.

I did the same, I can very easily test when the timer is changed simply
with "echo ^G" on the console and if the timer changed, the beep is ten
times as long as before. This actually happens if I install an own timer
like this:

        timer = rtl_getbestclock( 0 );
        rtl_setclockhandler( timer, handler );
        timer->init( timer );
        spec = 8000000;
        timer->settimermode( timer, RTL_CLOCK_MODE_PERIODIC );
        timer->settimer( timer, spec );

After that the linux system timer is changed as well.

bye, Roman