On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 10:06:08AM -0700, Pete Buechler wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Herman Bruyninckx wrote:
>
> > We are trying to make MiniRtl floppies with Comedi drivers. But Comedi
> > seems to need the libc, which is a couple of megabytes big. Is there
> > another, much smaller ``embedded'' libc available? Is newlib from Cygnus
> > such an alternative? Would it be possible to use it together with Comedi?
>
> 1) Try statically linking Comedi, it may be using only a small part of the
> library.

libcomedi hits some rather sensitive areas of glibc, so statically
linking anything causes binary sizes of about 300 kB.  It shouldn't
be too hard to knock this down in some cases, i.e., changing a
sscanf() to strtol() dropped the average binary size of the demos
to 240 kB.  Think I'll keep that change.

dave...