On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Jacek M. Holeczek wrote:

> I have some Linux machines (2*PIII/600 each) with Gigabit ethernet
> connected via a Gigabit switch. The problem is that I get max. 35 MB/s
> data transfer between two machines if I write to /dev/null. If I write
> to ramdisk I get only max. 24 MB/s.

There is undocumented option CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP in 2.4 kernel.
Also Victor has mentioned some time ago a new mechanism for kernel/user
space communication using shared memory (Victor, where to find some more info
about it? Which programs are actually using it?)

> and the kernel's space. The problem is - can I somehow convince the
> Gigabit ethernet driver to write directly into this shared memory
> (from kernel's space) ? So that any unnecessary moving of data is

Allocate skb's from this memory pool ?

> (Another problem is - can I use this shared memory module, by Tomasz
> Motylewski, with a standard kernel 2.2.x, without any real time
> extensions ?)

Sure. It has no dependancy on RT at all.

Serdecznie pozdrawiam,
--
Tomek