----- Original Message -----
From: Wikston, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 12:29 PM
Subject: RE: [rtl] clock drifts

> Use NTP and you do not have to worry about the drift.  The clock will be
> adjust to account for it.
>
> http://www.cis.udel.edu/~ntp

I think that NTP has an high granularity timing for my needs. My interval
measurements (upper bounds) may be in order of a few microseconds and I
expected clock drifts in order of less than one nanosecond. The Pentium
timestamp counter is incremented at every processor clock cycle. If the
processor clock cycles been strictly periodic, the clock wouldn't drift
towards a real-time reference (assuming a correct CPU frequency). My
questions are: the CPU clock cycles have jitter or are periodic without
jitter? If have jitter, depends only on the system crystal oscillator? How
can I get a feasible value for the crystal oscillation accuracy (i.e.
maximum drift towards a real-time reference)? It is specified on the
motherboard manual?

sorry the question again

Pedro Martins