On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 12:07:59PM -0500, Terry L. Ridder wrote:
> hello;
>
> been there, done that, does not work.
>
> rtlinux_kernel_2_3.tar.gz is linux-2.2.99-pre10-pre3
> which is not even linux-2.4.0-test1.
> there are differences.

        Hmm, last time i checked, rtlinux_kernel_2_3.tar.gz is 2.4.0-test1,
but i didn't put that package together.  i'll look at it.

> rtlinux_kernel_2_3.tar.gz has the same wrong
> patches to the three config.in files. i have
> written cort about that before.
> make xconfig dies because of those wrong patches.

        Yes, make xconfig needs to be fixed.  i'll see if i can get it fixed
before we release pre9.

> i am not the only one who has had problems with
> those config.in files.
>
> rtlinux-3.0-pre8.alpha.rpm is not:
>     1. a complete linux kernel source tree.

        Yes, it makes it considerably smaller and allows people to get RTLinux
up and running quickly.  It should have all header files necessary
to compile an RTLinux program.  If you want the complete kernel tree, just
grab the pre-patched one (which should be fixed soon).

>     2. wants to put the files in /usr/rtlinux....
>        which is in my opinion non-standard.

        What standard?  Where do you think it should be and why?

> rtlinux-3.0-pre8.alpha.rpm is built using
> linux-2.3.99-pre10-pre3.

        That's funny.  i built that RPM, and i know i used 2.4.0-test1.

> forgive me, but how can you say that you are sticking
> with linux-2.4.0-test1 when nothing indicates that
> you even using linux-2.4.0-test1? everything indicates
> that you are using linux-2.3.99-pre10-pre3, which as
> i stated above is not linux-2.4.0-test1, there are
> differences.

npsimons@hq:~$ cp ~ftp/pub/rtlinux/v3/rtlinux_kernel_2_3.tar.gz .
npsimons@hq:~$ tar -xzf rtlinux_kernel_2_3.tar.gz
npsimons@hq:~$ vim rtlinux_kernel_2_3/Makefile
VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 0
EXTRAVERSION = -test1
<rest of toplevel Linux Makefile snipped for brevity>
<FYI, hq = ftp.fsmlabs.com>

> i do not know what alpha platform fsmlabs.com is developing
> on, but i can tell you that on an alpha pc164 is does not
> work. what version of gcc are you using to compile
> rtlinux-3.0-pre8 on the alpha platform?

gcc-2.95.2.
Admittedly, we don't test RTLinux on a large number of Alphas, but we do
compile kernels and modules with the "generic" machine type so that they should
work everywhere.

--
Nathan Paul Simons, Junior Software Engineer for FSMLabs
http://www.fsmlabs.com/