I had a similar problem but in reverse - I needed multiple readers on
the one fifo.  The easiest solution was to have a user space program
read the fifo and then store the data in a separate queue for each
reader.  Readers connect via tcp/ip.  Doing the same for fifo writes
from user space would be far less complicated - no queues needed.

As an aside, does anyone know of a way to open a socket and link it to a
file?
ie something like

        mount -t SOCK 1234 somehost /mnt/rtf1

That would be a nice way to use realtime fifos over a network and use
rtl_debug.o on a remote target.  Ideal for minirtl.

Regards,
Stuart Warren