You can buy PC cards to specifically drive stepper motors from many sources.  I would
recommend that you check out:

www.computerboards.com
www.ni.com

There are others but I don't have them handy.

You  can probably get the desired hardware from complete system providers as well.  I
would point out that the more difficult part of using stepper motor PC cards is
finding drivers.  I would check out places like the linux lab project and the linuxcnc
that was mentioned earlier.  It is easier if you find out what hardware has linux
driver support and then buying that hardware.

However, if you want to get into the nitty gritty of developing your own trajectory
profiles (pulse trains) for each axis then you could use a digital I/O card and a
stepper motor amplifier.  There are many companies that supply general purpose
amplifiers with a range of sizes to work with different motors.  Do a search on
industrial controls, stepper motors etc.   A big brand name in motors/controllers is
Baldor.  Allan Bradley is another big brand name to look at.

I hope this helps.
Rich