It sounds to me like you're using the old shared memory mechanism. I'd
recommend switching to the new way, 'mbuff'. Look up the details on the
web site, but essentially it allows you to not partition exclusive RAM,
and yet share memory between rtl and user space. Very easy to use,
mbuff_alloc & mbuff_free.

As someone already asked - is anyone using shared memory on whole
functional objects, as opposed to just data structures? Is there any
reason this wouldn't be possible, assuming all code adheres to the
header/library standards associated with both environments? I'm not
sure why this would be useful, but it sounds cool. You could at the
very least use such a setup to reduce redundant memory associated
with simple operations used by both rt-threads and user space programs,
in an attempt to keep RAM requirements at a minimum.

-Chuck