On Friday 16 February 2001 03:37, dony wrote:
> Hello all:
>
>     In embedded RTLinux environment, Can we patch the application
> dynamically ?
>
> That's to say,application A is already running on the target board, and
> have to be upgraded because there are some bugs in application A. Without
> resetting the board or Powerdowning the board, can we patch some other
> codes via network or serial port to this runing RTLinux kernel so that now
> it runs the patched codes instead of previous application A? Are there some
> solutions which can meet the above requirements?
> Thanks in advance.

It's (next to) impossible to patch running code, but you definitely shouldn't
have to take as brutal (or lame, as many Linux users would call it) measures
as rebooting.

Just have the target system listening on whatever interface you want to use
for the upgrade, using something that could accept file transfers. You could
probably rip something from some BSS server software (for serial), set up an
ftp server (for anything that can do TCP/IP), or write something simple up
using some standard or custom protocol. There might be even simpler ways...

Anyway, this "client", whatever protocol it may be using, can simply run a
script after receiving and replacing one or more files, or when receiving a
command via it's connection. That script would simply terminate your
application, unload your RT modules, and then load + start up again. That
shouldn't take more than a fraction of a second, or possibly a few seconds,
depending on your CPU speed and file storage medium.

//David

`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'