In message <001401c09c27$02bad470$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Jeffrey Krasky wrote:

> this may not have to be a real-time question, but I am hoping someone
> knows the answer.  Someone told me that I can modify the file rc.sysinit
> so that I can have control of everything that happens when the machine
> boots.  Here is my ideal situation:

That way you cannot control "everything". At least, the "init"
process is still "in your way".

> right after the machine is done booting and mounting the file systems,
> it goes and finds my program and runs it.  I would like my program to
> first get the current time down to a microsecnd, then "run it's
> function", then get the time again, and output the total execution time
> down to the nearest microsecond.  Then I dont care what happens after
> that.  I would like to make sure that nothing else could be running,
> like a daemon or something.  Is this the way to go or are there better

Well, when you don't need any init levels and  associated  start/stop
scripts, then don't use the normal init process at all.

Instead, directly start your application INSTEAD of init. THis can be
easily done by passing a boot parameter
"init=/absolute/path/to/your/program".

But be aware that usually init sets  up  some  enviromnment  for  you
which is missing when you run your process instead of init.

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a  correct
one.