Jennings, Richard R wrote:

> Greetings all,
> Should I be using mbuff or the portable_shm package for use
> with LXRT?  I am using Linux kernel 2.2.16 and RTAI
> 22.2.4 with lxrt-extended.
>
> Also, what would the correct version of mbuff be for these
> versions?

I think it should be possible since mbuff is the most portable, but I
never tried. It should be so since Tomek suggests using mbuff also for
RTAI in his mbuff distribution, and I know he knows what he says.

Recall also that RTAI own shared memory is mostly taken from Tomek mbuff
ideas, but implemented my way. Now even the related APIs are very
similar so I think you can try and use whichever you like.

The main difference at the moment is that mbuf uses Linux driver
mechanisms to access the kernel while RTAI shmem jump directly to its
services in kernel space by using soft ints, in i386, and traps, in PPC.

Ciao, Paolo.