Gang,

        I recall a few weeks back hearing about some black listed video
cards due to driver problems in X11R4 (and possibly other versions).  As I
am about to buy a new laptop, I just want to check to see if the one I am
planning to purchase will have this problem.

        I am looking at one of the IBM T20 series laptops with an "S3 Savage
IX8" video controller.  I will be using X11R3.X (probably) on it.  Has
anybody had any trouble with this combination, or can anybody suggest
whether I am likely to have trouble with it?

        I am planning to do some serial communications testing with the
laptop, so I will need a deterministic response within reason (latencies
measured in microseconds not seconds, please).

        Any experiences others have had or any advice is greatly
appreciated.

Regards,

Steve Cohen