It's a good question...

We are also working on a project where we will have the same problem in the near
future...

But it doesn't help!

Well, for now, I think that closing all the files opened is the minimum to do.
Making a sync command should be usefull to ensure that the files have been really
written on disk.

Using ext3 filesystem available now, can be usefull to avoid long fsck at the start.

Making an umount before power failure will ensure that all is ok for next start, but
will you have time to do all this?
20 ms seems to be really short... for all that :-(
We are lucky, we will have a little battery with few seconds of autonomy...

You can use a fifo to drive all this user space commands from RT world.

If people have other ideas...
Many thanks.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 15/02/02 20h56 >>>
Hi,
does anyone have any suggestions for umounting a small (about 30Mb) file
system from rtl space?
The user process is running in ramdisk and is subject to sudden power
loss. I would like to log some data on the partition, but must be
certain, that the system will start up without fsck.  My thought is to
install a rtl interrupt which then generates a soft interrupt which
umonts the disk. The power supply can detect power failure and generate
the interrupt.  I have measured about 20 ms before power drops below a
usable state.

Also, is it necessary that the file system be umounted, or is just
closing all open files?

thanks,

dan peters

http://www.rtlinux.org/